Saturday, January 14, 2017

2017-01-15 President's Message

Dear Sisters and Elders,

My message to you today is very simple: "YOU CAN DO THIS!"

Is missionary work hard? Yes.

Is life hard sometimes? Yes

Will you face many challenges in your life? Yes

But YOU CAN DO THIS!

You are a precious daughter or son of God. He did not send you to earth as some kind man-made, half-thought out program. He created the earth. He created you. He created a wonderful plan for you to come back home to Him. Before He sent us to earth, He made sure that there would be a Savior and Redeemer for us. Why? Because He plans for you to be successful!

Elder Richard G. Scott said: "Our Heavenly Father did not put us on this earth to fail but to succeed gloriously!"

Every one of us was called by God to serve a mission. Every one of us was set apart by someone holding priesthood keys. You can do this because God called you to do it. You can do this because you were set apart by the power of the priesthood.

Remember when you were praying about serving a mission? Remember the feeling of peace you had when you prayed? This is another sign to you that the Lord will make you successful, if you will strive with your whole heart.

"Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" (DC 6:23)

"Sometimes we become discouraged...even by sincere invitations to improve ourselves. We think silently 'I can't do all these things' or 'I will never be as good as all these people.' Please, my beloved brothers and sisters, we must stop comparing ourselves to others. We falsely judge our self worth by the things we do or don't have and by the opinions of others. If we must compare, let us compare how we were in the past to how we are today--and even to how we will be in the future. The only opinion of us that matters is what our Heavenly Father thinks of us. Please sincerely ask Him what He thinks of you. He will love and correct but never discourage us. That is Satan's trick."

"Let me be direct and clear. The answers to the questions: 'Am I good enough?' and 'Will I make it?' are 'Yes, you are going to make it as long as you keep repenting and do not rationalize or rebel.' The God of Heaven is not a heartless referee looking for any excuse to throw us out of the game. He is our perfectly loving Father who yearns more than anything else to have ALL His children come back home and live with Him as families forever. He gave His Only Begotten Son that we might not perish but have everlasting life! Please believe, and please take hope and comfort from, this eternal truth. That is His work and His glory." (Elder J. Devn Cornish, October 2016 General Conference)

Remember, missionaries do not perform miracles. God performs miracles. Our role and duty is very simple: "Behold, this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your might, mind and strength." (DC 11:20)

He will do the miracles. He always does. Our role is to be strive with all of our might, mind and strength to follow Him.

A wise missionary would say: "I may not be the greatest missionary. I may not have great teaching skills or great language skills. I may be a little shy or awkward. But I CAN be obedient and I CAN give the Lord my whole heart."

This is what the Lord requires. He does not compare us to others. All He asks is for us to serve Him with our whole hearts, to repent when we fall short, and to jump back up on our feet and move forward.

When hard times come, as they always do, say to the Lord: "With your help I know I can do this."

When you are hot, tired and rejected, tell the Lord: "I will keep moving, I will keep serving, because I love you."

I promise, my beloved elders and sisters, that the Lord will do His miracles through you if you will serve Him with all your heart. Never compare with others. Never get discouraged because you do not see with your own eyes the people the Lord saves because of you.

You will succeed gloriously! You can do this!

Mahal ko po kayo,

President Creg Ostler