Wednesday, September 21, 2016

2016-09-19 President's Message


 Dear Elders and Sisters,

We greatly enjoyed our recent zone conferences with all of you. Thank you for preparing so well. Thank you for bringing the spirit with you. Thank you for being such outstanding representatives of the Lord and His church.

One of the highlights of the conference was Sister Ostler's talk on Gratitude. I have included some of her quotes and scriptures below. I would encourage you to choose some of these things to memorize and make them a part of your life. I have done this and it has been a big blessing to me.

---------------------------------
The Secret to Joy is Gratitude.

"Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in ALL things." (DC 59:7)

"Live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which [God] doth bestow upon you." (Alma 34:38)

"He who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made GLORIOUS." (DC 78:19)

Paul (after shipwrecks, beatings, etc): "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." (Philippians 4:11)

Nephi (tied up for days): "Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise Him all the day long; and did not murmur against the Lord because of my afflictions." (1 Nephi 18:16)

Joseph Smith (in prison): "Oh God, where art thou?" "Know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (DC 121:1, 122:7)

"Dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie within our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God and for his arm to be revealed." (DC 123:17)

"Gratitude is more powerful than disappointment, discouragement and despair."

"True gratitude will fill your life with joy."


GOD, FORGIVE ME WHEN I WHINE

Today upon a bus,

I saw a girl with golden hair,

and wished I was as fair.

When suddenly she rose to leave,

I saw her hobble down the aisle.

She had one leg and wore a crutch.

But as she passed, a smile.

O God, forgive me when I whine,

I have two legs, the world is mine.

I stopped to buy some candy.

the lad who sold it had such charm.

I talked with him, he seemed so glad.

If I were late, it'd do no harm.

And as I left, he said to me,

"I thank you, you've been so kind.

It's nice to talk with folks like you.

You see," he said, "I'm blind."

Oh God, forgive me when I whine.

I have two eyes, the world is mine.

Later while walking down the street,

I saw a child with eyes of blue.

He stood and watched the others play.

He did not know what to do.

I stopped a moment and then I said,

"Why don't you join the others, dear?"

And then I knew, he couldn't hear.

O God, forgive me when I whine.

I have two ears, the world is mine.

With feet to take me where I'd go.

With eyes to see the sunset's glow.

With ears to her what I would know.

Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.

I've been blessed indeed, the world is mine.

(Red Foley)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We love you and are grateful for you.

Mahal ko po kayo,

President Creg Ostler